Serves 7 in 4 hrs. 15 mins
1 can (16 oz.) vegetarian refried beans
1 can (15 oz.) reduced sodium black beans, rinsed
1 1/2 C. frozen corn
3/4 C. chunky salsa
3/4 C. chicken, cooked and cubed
2 C. hot water
2 chicken bullion cubes
1 bag tortilla chips
2 C. shredded cheddar cheese, divided
-Combine beans, corn, salsa, chicken, water, and bullion cubes in a slow cooker. Cook on low for 3-4 hours or until heated through.
-Add half of the cheese. Stir until melted.
-Serve topped with remaining cheese and crushed chips.
This recipe was originally from Fix It And Forget It Lightly, but I have gradually mutilated it enough that I feel it's mine. Everything in the cookbook is supposed to be healthy, but I take it one step further when I purchase the beans. Also the fat-free shredded cheese doesn't melt in this, so unless you're okay with that, you might want to pass on it. We've been known to add a little reduced-fat sour cream to change things up as well. Overall, though, this is a cheap and easy meal that turns out to be a fairly hearty soup. It's also easy for me because I usually have all this stuff on hand. Oh, and I never buy canned chicken broth, but if that's what you have, the recipe calls for 1 can (14 oz.) of broth and 1/4 C. water.
No comments:
Post a Comment