Sweet Chili

Serves 6 in Time: 8 hours 15 mins.
2 cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 lb. ground beef
1 C. chopped onion
1 C. chopped celery
1/2 C. ketchup
32 oz. diced tomatoes in juice
1/4 C. - 1/2 C. white sugar
1-2 Tbsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. cumin
-Brown ground beef and onion. Drain and put into slow cooker, along with the rest of the items.
-Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
Notes: You can be as liberal as you want with the ground beef portion. I think the last package I used was closer to 1 1/2 lbs. Also, my mother-in-law passed this recipe on to me and she uses closer to a cup of sugar, but that was a little too sweet for us! This is perfect with cornbread. This last time, I did Marie Callendar's cornbread mix. It also suggested equal portions honey and butter for a cornbread topping; I used 1/2 C. of each to make enough for our family.

No comments: